.

.

Friday, August 5, 2016

Summer in Oklahoma: It's SO Hot Outside...

.... that the chickens are laying hard-boiled eggs!

... that corn is popping on the stalk!

... that the fire hydrants are chasing down the dogs!

... that the cows are giving evaporated milk!

Okay, these are getting a little ridiculous, I admit it.
The point, obviously, is that it is HOT OUTSIDE this summer in Oklahoma!   Of course, this summer is no different than any summer in Oklahoma - it gets hot and stays hot, and the plants begin to wilt and brown and go dormant and die.
What's the use of trying to have a lovely garden in Oklahoma in the summer?!

Actually this is only partially true.
Will Rogers Gardens, OKC - Sweet Potato Vine, Crape Myrtles,
Cannas, Castor Bean Plant, and etc.
The secret to gardening in Oklahoma summers is to have the right plants, usually perennials.
And there are surprising number of plants that will not only survive Oklahoma summers but also THRIVE and blossom!

I've been trying to start early and finish early while gardening in this crazy heat and humidity.  I find myself dripping and wilting by about 9 AM every day.
Today was a short gardening day... by the time the drips started just before 9 AM, I was finishing up the job.  Since the day was overcast (but still so humid), I decided to do a little photography in the garden of my client and then in a botanical garden near my home.

I think I walked around shooting photos for about 20 minutes, and by the time I was done, I was DONE!  It amazed me to feel the way I did - absolutely overcome by the humidity - when the flowers around me were so fresh and bright and loving the heat!

For those of you who have wondered what to plant in Oklahoma gardens that will thrive in the summer, here is a visual list of some of the plants I see time and again in the gardens of my clients - they always seem to do well in our heat, and most of them survive our Oklahoma winters and come back the next year, strong as ever.

I'm not sure about other areas, but if your weather is similar to Oklahoma, these might work for your garden too.

From here on out, I'll let the plants speak for themselves, and I'll just include the names of the plants.

Jenn's Garden - Black-eyed Susan
For the record, I took all of these photos today either in Will Rogers Gardens (a botanical garden in Oklahoma City) or in the garden of my friend Ida Pulaweed.  (Actually her name is Jennifer, but she did not necessarily care one way or the other if her name was put up in lights for all to see.) 


Jenn's Garden - Cyrpres Vine












Jenn's Garden - Hyrdrangea, Cyrpress Vine, Petunia
Will Rogers Gardens - Purple Heart & Dwarf Daylily




Will Rogers Gardens - Lantana & Ornamental Grass
Will Rogers Gardens - Sedum/Stonecrop














Will Rogers Gardens - Canna
Will Rogers Gardens - Caladium (shade-loving) and Nandina











Will Rogers Gardens - Cleome 











Will Rogers Gardens - Zinnia















Will Rogers Gardens - Crape Myrtle
(good old Oklahoma standby)
...also in pale purple







... or white
...or hot pink
Will Rogers Gardens - Texas Red Yucca &
Purple Heart






Will Rogers Gardens - Portulaca/ Rose Moss
















This is the end of the visual list but by no means is it the end of the list of plants that absolutely thrive in and love Oklahoma summer heat!

Before I sign off and go eat some ice cream to cool off, let me ask you if that last plant looks or sounds familiar?
Remember "Pursy"?  A Love Song to Purslane?
(no, it's not an obscure long-lost song from the Beatles)

Rose Moss Portulaca is the ornamental form of the common "weed" form of Purslane (Portulaca oleracea)...the edible weed!  Check out the blog post to find out more.  It's yummy!

Here's one final parting shot of some of the temporary residents of Will Rogers Gardens who also don't mind the heat...



Okay, ice cream calls!  Time to brave the heat and drive home.

Happy gardening this summer, wherever your summer garden may be!
(and for those in the Southern hemisphere - happy winter gardening!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Helpful and respectful comments are welcome!
All comments are moderated and may or may not be visible on the blog.